Saturday, January 24, 2009

Tribune Disapointing Again

As a lifelong Cubs fan, I've lived in a state of constant disappointment with the Tribune Company.  They have never been committed to building a winning baseball team and that's a killer when it comes to my passion for baseball (first) and the Cubs.  Their decision to not sell to Mark Cuban has been a tremendous let down to me.  I am not going to go anywhere near claiming to know the specifics.  I don't even think (yet) that Mr. Ricketts  is necessarily bad for the Cubs.  What I do think, is that Mark Cuban would have been great as a Cubs owner.  This is meant to be no offense to Mr. Ricketts.  I hope the best for him, because I am a Cubs fan.
After reading the book "Republican Millionaire" I decided to follow a piece of its advice and choose a financial hero (much like we choose favorite athletes).  In doing research, more reading, and more paying attention with this task in mind, I decided that Mark Cuban was my "meant to be" option.  He loves sports.  He is a techy geek at heart.  He operates in a bit of a non-traditional manner but gets the job more than done.  He has relentless passion for whatever he chooses to do (although this backfires at times for him, you can't question his commitment to endeavors).  He went to undergrad in Indiana (although the wrong school, I still forgive him).  He wanted to be the driving force behind the Cubs becoming a winning team.
I don't know the specifics of the offers, decision making process, rationale, or emotions that occurred during the past several weeks with the "Cubs buyout" situation.  I also don't care.  What I know is that the Tribune Company, fittingly, took their last chance to make a decision that would help the Cubs become a winner, and dropped the ball.  It was the bottom of the ninth and they have committed their final, curtain call, error.   The headline, if not tremendously influenced by where the paycheck is coming from, in the Chicago Tribune should have been "One Last Error".  If the manager is the 10th player and the GM is the 11th, the owner is the 12th and this was definitely an E-12 in the books!!  Good riddance Chicago Tribune!!  I have cancelled my paper subscription and I am done with you!!

No comments: