Saturday, February 14, 2009

We're Gonna Be Alright

No, I don't think the stimulus package is good.  No, I've not done a 180 on O'Bama.  But, I still think we are going to be alright.  Long term, way after O'Bama's 4 years (that's all he's gonna get) our country's "future" is going to be just fine, if not great.  There is so much crap in the news about kids / teenagers screwing up.  Teenagers acting irresponsibly demanding the question, "What is wrong with our youth?"
Nothing.
I see these kids every day.  There are idiots, yes.  There are also idiots in their 40's (I work with a few).  I have the privelege not only of teaching, but of also being the advisor for our school's student business club.  These kids are good.  Scratch that, these kids are unbelievable.  I recently took them to a conference (this is not a rareity).  Aside from what they accomplished at the conference (which was impressive), their decision to go was enough for me.  Here's what their decision said:

I will get up at 6am on a Saturday!
I will put a suit on!
I will spend ALL day Saturday in that suit at a high school!
I will spend several hours of that day taking a test!
I will spend a few more hours listening to teachers speak to me!
I will have a good time doing it and thank my advisor afterwards for the opportunity to go!

These kids are good and there are thousands of them across this state, let alone the country.  These are the kids who are going to run our country, our businesses, our schools, my grandkids' daycare.  These are the kids who allow me to know that we are going to be alright.  I tell my buddies (who aren't teachers) to ignore the moron teenagers in the news for doing this stupid thing or that.  The good ones outnumber the bad, easily.  The bad are just louder.
No worries, we'll be alright!!

No comments: